Friday, July 1, 2011

Sister Quilters - 2011 Swamp Fox Quilters Show

Sister Quilters - 2011 Swamp Fox Quilter's Show
9 Patch Challenge
A Nine Patch must  be a 3 x 3 Square with Nine Equal Squares and variations of that basic square.
June 2nd, 2011
Hartsville Museum, Hartsville SC

Two friends and a doll Teacher.
Karen on the right and Mama Kautsie on the left aka Ethel are my bested Quilting Buddies.

I have a special place in my heart for Karen Preston, Doll Teacher Extraordinaire who taught me to make my Avatar Doll.

This is Donna's beautiful Quilt and a closeup of the many Nine Patches in her quilt.  
      






Karen's Amazingly Beautiful Quilt Sunshine On My Shoulders took top honors of Best in Show, Best Machine Quilting and Best Applique.

Closeup of the Trapunto Quilting in Karen's Quilt

Two Videos on Trapunto Quilting

Quilters are among the most sharing of Crafts persons. We have a third Thursday of the month Workday and our quilters are sharing their knowledge, expertise and love of quilting with the rest of the guild members.   Karen will be demonstrating the Trapunto Technique shown in the close up above; I have already done a workshop on the Origami Flowers and Rita whose award winning quilts are below will be doing a Workshop on Fractured Flowers.
This is the Fractured Flower Technique that Rita S. will be teaching us in September at the Swamp Fox Quilters Workday. Rita S. taught me how to do Paper Piecing at a workday two years ago and I have been paper piecing ever since.  She is a great teacher, patient and makes it easier for quilters to learn new techniques.

Rita S. also won for best use of theme in her quilt entitled Slumber Party. Now I am a beginner doll maker and I fell in love with this sweet and adorable quilt. Each doll is dimensional and peeks out from each individual Nine Patch quilt.


Rita S. won Two Awards . One for Best Use of theme in Slumber Party and one for applique.

Me, Ethel, or aka Mama Maustie actually won a ribbon too, A second place for Origami Springtime.  I have already done my workshop on this technique and some beautiful quilted postcards made by members of the guild were the result.

Each of the flowers is a folded fabric origami flower. I learned this technique from a book entitled: Fantastic Fabric Folding by Rebbecca Wat.
For a website on folding fabric techniques try this one: http://www.origami-resource-center.com/fabric-folding.html

There are two more photos I would like to share with you.

This is Carolyn B's beautiful and moving art quilt entitled Community
Carolyn B's quilt was a nine patch and each of the symbols represents the  the community spirit in symbols.
Finally the last quilt was Ed V's quilt entitled Isabella. This lacy pink quilt will be an October Birthday present for his granddaugther.  The President of QSC attended our show and banquet and awarded Ed a special ribbon for best First Time Entry.
    I am on a mission to improve my quilting techniques. So this is what I have learned. It is important to wash your fabric in luke-warm water because it removes the formaldehyde, a carcinogen that causes cancer. I know about that because my mother had to sterilize pillow and quilts in New York City using that chemical for many years. My mother died of breast cancer.
   To keep your fabric from fraying into a tangle mess of warp threads, clip the corners and your fabric will not knot up.
The third thing I found out is that once you wash the fabric you then need to starch and press it using an up and down motion. When you go to fabric stores to test out machines they always give you a white piece of cotton that is starched and the stitches look wonderful.  I found that in a book called Teach Yourself Machine Piecing and Quilting by Debra Wagner.

The final thing I want to say is to ask forgiveness from Ethel and Lucy for forsaking blogging for a sake of worthless cause.


No comments: