Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tromboni Girls


The last time I was at my daughter's house I was treated to a musical fete by the grandies.
Gabba , the Irish Elf child plays the flute and Gems plays the trombone. The two sisters are leaning on each other and Gems is laughing which makes it extremely hard to play the trombone. I have nicknamed Gems The Sunshine Girl.


Gems is the cheerleader of the family and you might wonder why she would choose a trombone to play. Well if you have ever heard a trombone, you know that the notes tickle you right down to your toes. Gems"s mom says that she has made it her own. I love it!!!!
Her trombone is almost taller then she is when she extends it and she has to be able to hear the stops to play the notes.

Moms are always the number one supporter of their children's endeavors.
Gems makes sure that her Mother is paying full attention at all times.









The duet they played was very pretty.


This is a a picture of their mother in her outfit she played her concerts in. P.C. played the cello. She said the best thing about playing the cello was that she couldn't take it home on the bus. She was doing that for a while, but then two boys got into a fight on the bus and we had to fix the cello. After that she no longer had to bring it home everyday.
Eventually she was chosen for All State and I got to attend a performance. They played beautifully and I am tearing up thinking about it now how proud I was. This picture was taken of P.C. around her daughter's age.





These pictures were taken at my son's performance around the age of Gems. He is playing violin with Bennie Woods.
I really loved listening to my son practice Suzuki. He really doesn't know how happy I was listening to him practice.

Bennie Woods played the meanest classical piano I have ever heard. He also was my music 101 teacher at Francis Marion University when I went back to school for my teaching degree. I had Music 101 first thing 8:30 in the morning . Now I am not much of a morning person and now that I am retired generally avoid the morning at all costs. However, Bennie walked in the first day of class and set down at his concert piano in the very hall you see above. He said that he was going to introduce us to classical music especially encourage us in a love of opera. He then proceeded to accompany himself while he sang the main excepts of Carmen to us hitting the highest parts of the major arias for us. He of course sang the title role in a slightly higher voice then his usual pitch. I was then instantly an opera fan.
Now it would be nice to say that this music is third generational on my side. Unfortunately that is not the case. I am generally considered tone deaf and can only play piano if you put smiley faces on the piano keys. But what is generational is the love that parents have for our children and the support we give them.
I would love to hear your comments. Inorder to do that you have to register with Google. It only takes a few moments and then you can post comments.

2 comments:

Nana Time said...

Where are you getting these pictures of your children growing up? They are darling! It is so cute to see Jesse as a little boy and Terra as a teenager.

Keep on blogging Lucy, you got a lot a stories to tell and I don't want you to leave any out!

Nana Time said...

Hey, I love the thought that your children and grandies may think I am a nun....Sister Donnamo...LOL.