Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Three Generations of Science Fiction Fans

Three generations of Girls and Women continued the grand tradition that begin with our family going to see a little known movie called Star Wars in Glenwoodsprings Colorado around 1977. We waited in line to see a movie that was part of series that would define our family tastes in Science Fiction leading eventually to one of members to try and fly in space.
During the summer of 2010, granddaughters, mothers and grandmothers went to see a movie called the Avatar The Last Air Bender. This fulfilled a promised I made to my oldest granddaughter to see this movie when it premiered.


This is the picture of us wearing our 3 d glasses waiting to see the Last Air Bender. We waited in line for over an hour and asked that our picture be snapped.

The previous summer Gabba and I got hooked on a Nickelodeon Cartoon Series called The Last Air Bender.


Avatar is a story of a young boy frozen in ice who travels on a journey of life and enlightenment with his young friends in an attempt to save their world. The graphics, story boards, illustrations, backdrops and characters are superior rivaling the best that Disney ever produced.
This is a coming of age story of children and the lessons and values they learn.


But more then that was the summer weeks I spent with my oldest granddaughter and the littler ones glued to the TV set watching all the episodes sharing a journey with Ang, Katara, Sokka, Toph (My favorite - the blind tough earthbender) Zuko, and Azula, who rivals the great villianess of storyhood.
This Thanksgiving the grandies are coming for a week. Part of week will be spent in a marathon of watching all of the episodes that I have bought and sharing that magic once more.
Do you share of love of something with your grandchildren?

1 comment:

Nana Time said...

Hey you got this up and running and inserted pictures from the internet I assume. You must teach ME how to do that.

I love that you and the grandies share a passion.

THe passions of my grandies are each different but I love doing them with them.

We are blessed women to have grandchildren...the bible says "grandchildren are an inheritance from the Lord." I think it says that....if it doesn't it should :)